Wednesday, April 11, 2012

First Outing

 Whistle had her goat kids on Easter Sunday.  One doe and one buck.
 Mashmello had her twin ram lambs on Monday.  Very handsome!


Here they are on their first day out for some fresh air.  I am keeping one of these two I think.  I am leaning toward the lighter one.  They are SO incredibly soft.  It is interesting breeding the whole ewe flock to one flock sire.  I couldn't be happier with the results.  All the lambs are very soft and have great ear sets, tails, and appear to be correct conformationally at this point.  Really gives you the opportunity to compare your ewes and what they produce.  Heights Orion is my favorite UK sire.  All these babies are F2 (second generation) Heights Orion.  I plan on keeping about 3-4 ewe lambs and 2 ram lambs from this crop.  All other lambs will be available anytime after July 1.  I will be selling 4-5 adult ewes, 3-4 yearling ewes, 4 yearling rams.  Yearlings are available anytime.  Adult ewes after July 1.  I would like to get to a flock size of 20 again...which I think that pretty much gets me there.  I have 4 more ewes to lamb.  So we are going into the second 17 days.  Did they not cycle until late or did Neville miss them the first time around...I don't know.  The lesson is if you want all your ewes covered you should give them two cycles (34 days) with your ram.  I have 4 people considering a starter package or multiple purchases.  As soon as the rest of the ewes lamb I will be able to let you all know who is for sale.  In the meantime feel free to send me an email if you have anything in particular you see that you are leaning toward or if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment