Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ram Escapades...

Being a beautiful day I thought I would let the ram lambs out for a while to graze thinking I would be able to lure them or herd them back in the barn before dark...





 Well when the time came, no such luck.  They did not want to go back in the barn for any amount of grain or chasing.  So we had to catch them...one by one.   I did not put them back in the barn but out with the big boys...
 Who were completely unphased by the little ram additions to their pasture...
 All is peaceful and I love how mellow my mature rams are.  Went in to change their water today and out of 13 rams total, lambs and adult, not one even batted an eyelash in my direction.  Very respectful, calm, content, and wonderful boys one and all.  Not to worry, I keep an eye on them just in case, but grateful it has been a non issue with this particular group.  I have come to the conclusion that it is not horned or polled that is the biggest factor for me with a ram, but overall disposition.  With rams, some are unfriendly and turn nasty.  Some are overly friendly and do the same. Others like Neville is a calm cool and collected as they come.  The solution is to breed for the best temperament possible, have zero tolerance for bad ram behavior, respect their space and demand they do the same for you, never turn your back on them, and know sometimes that will even not be enough and make the hard decisions in the event that happens.  For now I am just happy I seem to have rams that fit my low conflict expectations.  I just have too many so let me know if you are in need of one.  Out of the 13, two are sold and waiting for pick up.  Many more beautiful rams to choose from however. 

1 comment:

  1. I have the same goals for my rams, they get nasty, they are on the one way track to little white packages. Great picture, the little moorit in the 3rd shot has a perfect tail. And I really like the yuglet, there I go gravitating to the brown based sheep again. lol

    ReplyDelete